Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest joe row

T.v. Bracket

Guest joe row

i thought it was time i posted some of my sketching on here...

i do an industrial design degree (BSc), at demontfort uni in england and we get constantly abused by the fact that BSc students apparently can't sketch or draw - not a reputation i like, so anything you can say i would greatly appreciate...

i would also like to ask when you do make a critisicm please back it up - dont just say "that doesnt look right", explain to me why it doesnt...

anyway im sure you'll all be fine :thumbsup:

this is a re-design of a t.v. bracket

here we go:

post-26754-1229207087.jpg

post-26754-1229207122.jpg

post-26754-1229207137.jpg

Q1: what year are you

Q2: have you had a foundations course?

Q3: tell me what you feel is the hardest for you, and be specific, dont say everything.

----

lots of basic perspective issues.

your problems are:

1- basic perspective

2- funky shadows

3- lack of practice of simple forms, ellipses, cubes, cylinder, etc

(the reason i say this, is because of your arrows, i dont understand how there can be a kink in your elliptical arrows if you can draw ellipses)

ill do an overlay and show u corrections either by tonite or tommorw

----

also this makes little to no sense to me...

why would you design a TV... Bracket?

its something ppl rarely see.

and even if it was a visible one, your design would not match every tv out there.

My suggestion for a project for you woudl be to design a TV.

You can design teh TV and also design the way it is held up, hung, attached or what not.

So you have a full complete project, rather than a component that doesnt fit into anything.

----

*im willing to help you out as much as you can, but need you to put out just as much

(two great examples of extremely young but passionate ppl are taro and mbw17, they continue to improve because of the amount of practice and work they put into it, and it shows)

Guest joe row

very helpful... i really like the bullet point, to the task in hand tutoring sketchyd - i would greatly appreciate your help and i am more than ready to put in the effort...

Q1: I am in my second year of university, and I am 20 years old

Q2: I havent done a foundation course but have an A* GCSE and 2 A's A-Level for Graphic Products so I chose to go straight to uni

Q3: ellipse's are the hardest thing to draw for me, especially when they are vertical or at a negative slant...

generally curves and getting my first line right first time

- and my project is an actual project for my engineering module at uni - most of the other guys in my class are "designing" a bog standard bracket like an engineer but I want to jazz i up a little bit; make it futuristic or something

if you can suggest something else to draw to help with my sketching thats also fine

Guest lokilabs

If you have done your research for this project you will find that most all solutions for tv mountability have been covered. The market is absolutely flooded with products. A great way to differentiate yourself from all the competitors is to come up with something cheap but also great looking. The first thing somone sees before it is mounted is how well its made and how good it looks. Even though its going to be hidden most of the time it still needs to be beautiful. As for your sketching. I like the many mechanical views and range of thought however a better understanding of perspective goes along way especially when dealing with spheres and ovals. I suck at drawing ovals by the way. Oh and not everything has to be outlined in black. Use it sparingly to show depth. Shading as well could use some work.

post-9741-1229452665.jpg

Guest lokilabs

Sketchyd, its just an example of how the case could sit on the ground showing the mechanisms somewhat also how its split into moldable pieces. The right sketch is more idealistic. Also I cant show more detail for copywrite reasons.