Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bildder

Mobile Phone

Guest bildder

Hi all,

I'm curently working on new mobile phone for woman.

Will be available in 3-4 colors, and on backside I design small mirror (under a subtle cover).

What is your opinion?

I will post more details soon...

post-16124-1228983502.png

post-16124-1228983781.png

post-16124-1228983792.png

thanks for your comments ;)

Guest Skint

As there are no explinations we can only assume this is a touch screen phone, no keypad etc. One thing you must do is remove those sharp pointy edges, you could kill someone with that thing lol !!

Main point I guess... is why you would want to limit your potential marketplace by 50% just by assuming women would buy it as it contains a tiny mirror ?

Guest Austin Brown

In all the research I've done in school relating to women in the marketplace, it mostly points to women buying sleek, sexy, understated phones(like smartphones and the more expensive looking ones) or loud, oobnoxious ones like pink RAZRs and red CHOCLATES. It is difficult to get a product to succeed in the marketplace when it is designed for women for a few reasons.

1. You cut out half of the market by eliminating men. (Good call SKINT)

2. Women can see it as pandering to them, as though they can't appreciate a design that was made for the public, they need to have special "woman designs"

3. It is not as though you need to create a new product in order to break into an untapped market. Women have been buying cellphones for years and the market is pretty saturated. The sales you generate would oonly be taking away from other cellphones - possibly within the same brand. It isn't as though there are a lot of women out there right now waiting to buy into the cellphone market because they don't see a product that appeals to them.

As far as the form goes, I thnk it needs to be softened a bit - purely from an ergonomic standpoint (it looks sharp and dangerous).

It may be feminine and curvy, but do women really like things that remind them of women? I'm not sure either way on this one. My feeling is that they tend to want something a little bit more conventional.

I'd love to see how this project turns out. Maybe it would be well-suited to a market that currently doesn't have a lot of offerings for either gender. I don't know.

Good Luck.

Guest Skint

Design a phone which is tubular shaped, so it sits nicely along side there lip stick, lip gloss, eye liners etc etc in thier makeup bags, haha. Im sure women would go for that !

Guest kaiza

Agree with the comments above. The curved top and bottom look a bit too extreme as well. The only detail I really don't like is what I assume is the battery cover at the back - remote control covers look like this, but mobile phone battery covers tend to extend right to the edges of the phone, so all you might see is a horizontal line across the back and a textured finger grip and/or arrow detail. Or iPhone style, with no battery cover (and special tools required to open it)

Guest Gemstar

From a female POV I agree with all the above comments...

The sharp edges look quite lethal, and it doesn't look very comfortable to hold.

I really like the graphics on, personally that's something that would attract me to a phone, but its too 'inbetween' styles.

Like Austin said, women go for sleek, understated phones, or crazy funky ones - I think I prove this as I have two phones that I swap between, the first a Nokia N82 which does everything apart from cook my dinner, and the second, a crazy flashing hot pink Hello Kitty phone!

I think if you used the graphics and took them a bit further - could you encorporate the graphic swirl/flower theme into the buttons at all? - then that would be good. At the moment they're a bit small, and it seems silly (as mentioned before) to cut half the market out if its just simply for those small flowers.

Also I do like the mirror in the back, is there anything else that could be combined with this to make it better? A light next to the mirror etc?

Guest Lilith

god what an incredible generalisations .....

still interesting to see men disussing "what do women need", kind of funny ;)

billder may i ask please if you are a female? just curious about the motives.

i would like to respond to this remark

..2. Women can see it as pandering to them, as though they can't appreciate a design that was made for the public, they need to have special "woman designs"

This seems to have excluded women from public, by just the way the sentence is structured, excuse me if i am not getting the point, and yes i do believe that since a vast majority of women use cosmetics and do require a constant presence of mirror in their handbags , it is true to assume that fitting this feature into a mobile phone can be something to be classify "designed for women" and can be appealing for female consumers, having said that, i dont think that billder did cut down half of his consumers, unless the potential sellers will refuse to sell this item to men :)

moreover, i do sometimes use my mobile phone screen to check my lipstik or eyeshadow etc and i would be greatful if there was an actual mirror soewhere on the back of my phone, it would have been really handy! i dont see why is this concept suggests stereotypes, i think people are obsessed with trying to find stereotypes in everything, i do consider myself as strong, independent woman and if i see something pink and fluffy that attracts me, i wont think twice about buying it, the same way i wont hesitate to get myself a very nice mustang, and work under its bonnet sometimes...

the point is, thers no use of denying that different genders may have different requirements, including all the exceptions of course, and theres no need to classify it as stereotyping.

about the actual design, not every woman likes flower pattern, some prefer skulls, tiny butterflies, lightbulbs, circles, diagrams, chaotic patterns etc give them more choice!

still , credits for the mirror and the thought :)

Guest Austin Brown
i would like to respond to this remark
..2. Women can see it as pandering to them, as though they can't appreciate a design that was made for the public, they need to have special "woman designs"

This seems to have excluded women from public, by just the way the sentence is structured, excuse me if i am not getting the point, and yes i do believe that since a vast majority of women use cosmetics and do require a constant presence of mirror in their handbags , it is true to assume that fitting this feature into a mobile phone can be something to be classify "designed for women" and can be appealing for female consumers, having said that, I dont think that billder did cut down half of his consumers, unless the potential sellers will refuse to sell this item to men :)

Now I'm confused. I didn't mean to exclude women from the public with this comment. In fact women make up just about half of the public(maybe a little more if I remember correctly?) Anyway, I was trying to make a point that was similar in spirit to one that you made (and you made it more clearly too ;) ) Women aren't so simple as to just buy a phone with flowers on it because flowers are for women. There needs to be a good reason, like the way they interact with it from day to day, or the way it fits into a woman's lifestyle.

That point is that by sticking flowers on it, you might not actually be doing a whole lot to attract women. It's too shallow. Maybe think of a way to engrave or stamp it with an array of different designs or even personalized designs (like apple). This would allow women who like puppies, circles, light bulbs, skulls, no patterns, etc, to all have a chance to get their "perfect" phone. As for the "pandering" remark, I just think that a sophisticated woman consumer who simply doesn't like flowers would feel left out or let down by a product designed for "women"(just because it has pretty flowers). She might even laugh when she thinks about the days of old when girls were pink and boys were blue.

I didn't mean to sound misogynistic in any way, but if I did, I aplogize. Try and think of some other ways to add value for women (or the entire public - men included). Find out what women most like about their current phones and improve on it, while changing/fixing the major problems that they have with them.

Guest Austin Brown
Design a phone which is tubular shaped, so it sits nicely along side there lip stick, lip gloss, eye liners etc etc in thier makeup bags, haha. Im sure women would go for that !

Until they answer their eyeliner because they thought they heard it ring!

Guest Buff

If we are going to genderise product.... and in industry we do.... that's all part of the facts of taking a marketing stratergy.

Belive me, there ARE women who would buy a female genderised product... juat as there ARE women who would find such a notion totally abhorant.

As for market saturation, should it not occur to us that there being several brands and several models of phone, with differing capabilities and exactly the same capabilities coming out every few days.

This is done to stimulate a saturated market by building in obsolesance from the stronngest base... emotion, more specifically VANITY

I worked with a cell phone manufacture who wanted to compress the concept-to-production development time from 3 months, down to 8 DAYS!!!!!

This was because the bean counters had calculated that this was the lowest TAKT time for market demand for NEW phones.

In terms of the design, I can tell you from my experiance that you would be able to sell it... AS IS.

It may well appeal to only a small market, but that could still mean 5 million phones.

I do belive that softening the edges would probably widen the appeal, and the curvy top and bottom faces do from my perspective look kinda wrong.

The more angular aspects have been done before, not quite so extream admittedly, but it's been done. Mind you such products do have limeted appeal and a short shelf life

oh man that is disgusting.

i dont see one thing that is 'woman' or 'feminine' about your mobile phone design.

looks like you got a old school palm device or somethign and put floral graphics on it.

Back to the research board for you!

Guest Wiesenlooser

I'm sorry, but I think it sucks.

It might be just an impression, because there is no comparison but this mobile phone looks huuuge. Woman like to carry small mobile phones.

With these curves you even waste space. This mobile phone isn't feminine at all. I guess you were thinking : "O i'd like to design a mobile phone for women, so I just add some curves."

The Corners are way too sharp. It looks like this thing will cut your hand off. The Buttons look ridiculous.

Start over again. I'm sorry, but this is my opinion

Guest AutomóvilVerde

I think you should make it a lot more curvy and soft. Do something more exciting on the back, more 3D, not so flat.

But I think it looks great, the mirror is a great idea.

Guest jmc

I agree with the previous comments. Those sharp edges and tetris-block-shaped buttons have nothing feminine at all.

Even though the mirror and flower graphics are good ideas to get an advantage over other female-oriented cellphones, the general look needs to be more soft and gracious.

You might try to make a screen that is not perfectly square, organic shaped buttons just as the graphics, and creating a new general look for the case without necessarily forget those curves on the top and the bottom.

If you want to create a device exclusively made for women, go for it all the way, don't lose yourself in midtones and do your concept very feminine. More people will actually hate it probably, but more people will fall in love with it too, which means more sales. People don't like things that are too plain generally...

Guest Ekove

I believe the your design has too many sharp corners that it looks a little aggressive, or dangerous, or fragile. Especially for women who probably would prefer a softer design (yes I know that sounds cliche). Also your buttons don't seem to "blend" with the rest of the phone, their colors are also too saturated, while the rest of the phone is very unsaturated. As i said, quite aggressive.

I like your design though, the form, the flowers and all.