Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dugan

Specific Portfolio Question About Background For Pages

Guest Buff
It never hurts to have a cover page so the viewer knows whose portfolio it is and what it should contain/explain. I do, however, think the purple is waaaay too much for the cover page. Not to be rude, but I would dread opening up a portfolio that had a cover that intense. Considering that your content is so down-to-earth and rational, I think the cover page should follow suit. What if the reviewer didn't like purple? You'd already have started on the wrong foot.

I'd have to agree. I don't think I'd reject it so off hand based on the purple, but I would have initial doubts. I would guess other may reject it imeadiatley and still others await with baited breath in anticipation of exciting things to unfold. However, be differant by all means, but at this stage of the game, contreversial, NO, play safe, but no too safe.

I hope that makes sence?

Stick with the green or blue/grey tones would be my personal suggestion. and I'd perhaps choose only one colour theme throughout.

Guest Dugan

Thanks again for the input. I went ahead with a cover page, and I also added a "Biography page" at the end, no photo. I think I'm DONE!!!!

Interview is Thursday. Any interview pointers, or standard questions I should be prepared for are truly appreciated.

Guest Lance from Ohio

I know I'm a bit late to the party but I'll toss in my two cents.

I like it, don't get me wrong, but personally I think you're going to have a problem with the gradient. When you go to print, if you're on an letter layout and you print on letter sized paper, you will end up with a white boarder all the way around because printers can't do edge to edge, even kinkos. So you'll end up having to print to fit, and then hand trim the pages down to the edge. Thats the reason I tend to use a white backgroud, simply due to easier output.

If you go to kinkos, they should have a paper cutter there. Most of them I've been in have had the rotary paper trimmer. If all they have is the big old guillotine paper cutter, you'll be better off using an exacto and a metal rule. If this is how you opt to go, you can add crop marks to your file which will help you trim it down exactly.

Hope that helps! Good luck at you're interview!

[Lance]

Guest Dugan
I know I'm a bit late to the party but I'll toss in my two cents.

I like it, don't get me wrong, but personally I think you're going to have a problem with the gradient. When you go to print, if you're on an letter layout and you print on letter sized paper, you will end up with a white boarder all the way around because printers can't do edge to edge, even kinkos. So you'll end up having to print to fit, and then hand trim the pages down to the edge. Thats the reason I tend to use a white backgroud, simply due to easier output.

If you go to kinkos, they should have a paper cutter there. Most of them I've been in have had the rotary paper trimmer. If all they have is the big old guillotine paper cutter, you'll be better off using an exacto and a metal rule. If this is how you opt to go, you can add crop marks to your file which will help you trim it down exactly.

Hope that helps! Good luck at you're interview!

[Lance]

This was an issue, but I found a way. I used these guys, and they printed then on 12x18 color and trimmed down the sides to look like full bleed. It was $57 for all 45 frames.

Guest Dugan

In case anyone cares....

I think I nailed the interview. He said he was impressed with my designs, my communication skills and my enthusiasm. Near the end when I was asking him questions I asked how many students were already excepted and he said 18. Only 36 students total are excepted.

When I asked if he thought I had any deficiencies that might keep me out of the program so I could possibly provide more material he said, "Honestly, you're in good shape."

Doesn't mean I'm in, not by a long shot, but it went about as well as it could have.

Still trying to keep my excitement in check. only 36 student.....only 36 students.

Time to go Rock with my band at the Hard Rock Cafe.

Guest Austin Brown

Congrats on the interview! Great news. It probably helped that you were so interested in improving your work before hand.

btw - I think you meant that there were 18 students accepted? ;)

excepted kind of means that they were turned down - as in an exception from the rule.

Guest Dugan
Congrats on the interview! Great news. It probably helped that you were so interested in improving your work before hand.

btw - I think you meant that there were 18 students accepted? :D

excepted kind of means that they were turned down - as in an exception from the rule.

Thanks, and you're right. :)

Guest Austin Brown

Way to go! Now you need to ask for ffeedback and use it to improve the portfolio so it doesn't become stale or dated! The work never really stops!

Guest Dugan
Congrats!

Way to go! Now you need to ask for ffeedback and use it to improve the portfolio so it doesn't become stale or dated! The work never really stops!

Thanks guys.

AB, I'm sure I will pick up so much information over the course of this two year program that I'll likely start from scratch.

If anyone is curious, here's the program: http://www.mpd.northwestern.edu/index.php

Guest Austin Brown

Yeah, I think I'll have to do the same in a few weeks. It'll probably end up posted right here on PD F. We'll see