Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dugan

Specific Portfolio Question About Background For Pages

Guest Dugan

Hi all, I'm Dugan and I've been working as a Design Engineer (ME degree) for about 8 years now. I'm applying for a grad school program in product development and I have to put together a real portfolio. The only "portfolios" I've made before were mainly engineering oriented and used to get my first job in product design. Now I've got plenty of designs in the field and I need to make a real portfolio to showcase my design abilities, as opposed to my engineering experience.

Okay, my specific question....Is it bad to have a coloroed background for pages showing your designs? I've noticed that almost everyone uses plain white backgrounds for their portfolios. I've also noticed that one of the most common compliments is "very clean looking", which leads me to believe that it's probably something important to have it be "simple/clean" looking. Here's an example of a page from what I've done so far on my portfolio and it has a gradient background

Should I ditch the gradient and lay it out more like I have my sketch pages laid out here?

Please forgive my sad sketching skills. I'm an enginerd not an art guy.

Thanks for any advice!

-Dugan

Guest Dugan

Thanks for the input, and for taking the time to take a look at the rest of pages.

Yeah, I was going to ditch the red.

Guest Grafox

The gradient background is fine, although it I suggest working on the main composition of the images and the text. Look through some design magazines and see how they present products and how the text is alligned to the images. Also, I suggest having a similair layout on each page, that is part of the "clean" look I think.

Good luck!

Guest Buff

I'd have to agree with Grafox. the gradient is fine, but the "clean look" is to me at least a whole, homogenious feel. I'm very particular about layouts, images being same size, orientation, alignments etc. I have to confess that I am particulary fussy about that kind of thing.

I'd prefer a white background myself as I belive it can be less distracting from the information being presented, but the gradient looks OK. Id stick with one coulor that works with all the images. say blue tones or grey tones.

I'm not a fan of the "hand written" font you used, but I can see what your trying to do

Overall, though the content is what I'd be looking at if I where to be viewing this as a CV/Portfoilio, and based on what you presented in the 36 or so pages, I'd certainly call you in for a face-to-face interview

I would have a better font choice. Have a combination of regular and bold text. Layout the composition like a photo. Look at magazines for good layouts. Attached is a quick example of how you could use a gradient background.

post-313-1229091973.jpg

Guest Dugan

Thanks for the replies everyone. :D

It's probably obvious that I'm trying to give it some of the stylings of an ID portfolio which is not what I am. The font I used was part of that attempt. Maybe that's a bad idea, if two people think it doesn't work. Hmmm....

I'm in the home stretch. I have my interview on Thursday, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have to make changes that aren't absolutely necessary since I still have more content to add. When I made the choice to go with 11x14 for my port size, the issue of "where will I get this printed" didn't even cross my mind. Now I'm freaking.

Thanks again for the replies. Any others are welcome.

Guest Austin Brown

Kinko's?

I'll add another one to the tally of people who aren't into the hand-written font. It looks like a gimmick. Good luck on the interview!

Dugan- I could probably say the same thing- well I am not trying to be a graphic designer. You dont have to have a bad layout and design. You already went to the effort to design your layout. If you dont want to go the contemporary route, there are more sober but clear layouts that would work in an engineering setting.

Good luck BTW. Maybe take another look at your portfolio after the interview.

Guest Dugan
Kinko's?

I'll add another one to the tally of people who aren't into the hand-written font. It looks like a gimmick. Good luck on the interview!

Font has now been changed. The hand written font is used only twice now, on the hand sketched images.

Guest Dugan

You can see the changes I made here

I added the work I did with Weber, and changed the font to Ariel for the most part.

One other specific question..Cover page or no??

That purple page at the begining is what I'm talking about.

Thanks again for the input everyone.

Guest Austin Brown

It never hurts to have a cover page so the viewer knows whose portfolio it is and what it should contain/explain. I do, however, think the purple is waaaay too much for the cover page. Not to be rude, but I would dread opening up a portfolio that had a cover that intense. Considering that your content is so down-to-earth and rational, I think the cover page should follow suit. What if the reviewer didn't like purple? You'd already have started on the wrong foot.

Guest Dugan
It never hurts to have a cover page so the viewer knows whose portfolio it is and what it should contain/explain. I do, however, think the purple is waaaay too much for the cover page. Not to be rude, but I would dread opening up a portfolio that had a cover that intense. Considering that your content is so down-to-earth and rational, I think the cover page should follow suit. What if the reviewer didn't like purple? You'd already have started on the wrong foot.

Those are the school colors. Still a bad idea?